Wednesday 14 June 2017

In Praise of John Major : The Tory Thëoden-King

"Remember that awfully nice man who talked about 'The Classless Society'...? 
He had to go, of course. 

Everything Changes.

 "What I don't understand, Michael, is why such a complete wimp like me keeps winning everything."


Great Men are forged in Fire. 
It is the privilege of Lesser men to light the Flame. 
Whatever the cost.


No One cares about The Man in The Box, The Man Who Disappears.

LOYALTY vs. LOYALISM :
When Sir John Major retired to the backbenches and eventually stood-down as an MP, The Pretender Elizabeth Windsor did not make him an Earl - Even though, but for his inelligability to hold the title due to his status in the Commons as an elected Member of the Parliament, The First Lord of the Treasure (aka "The Prime Minister) is automatically, by definition, an EARL.

LABOUR PRIME MINISTER CLEMENT ATTLEE, 
(Clement Richard Attlee, 1st Earl Attlee, KG, OM, CH, PC, FRS) 
UPON RETIREMENT, WAS OFFERED A CHOICE - A Knighthood or an Earldom.

He took, was offered, and accepted BOTH.

WHY WAS JOHN MAJOR 
(Sir John Major, KG, CH, PC )
NOT OFFERED AN EARLDOM BY THE PRETENDER ELIZABETH WINDSOR..?

"Oh, I can bring in other people into the Cabinet, that is right, but where do you think most of this poison has come from? It is coming from the dispossessed and the never-possessed. You and I can both think of ex-ministers who are going around causing all sorts of trouble. Would you like three more of the bastards out there? What's the Lyndon Johnson, er, maxim?

Brunson: If you've got them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow.

Major: No, that's not what I had in mind, though it's pretty good.




John Major: What I don't understand, Michael, is why such a complete wimp like me keeps winning everything.


Michael Brunson: You've said it, you said precisely that.

Major: I suppose Gus will tell me off for saying that, won't you Gus?
Brunson: No, no, no … it's a fair point. The trouble is that people are not perceiving you as winning.
Major: Oh, I know … why not? Because ...
Brunson: Because rotten sods like me, I suppose, don't get the message clear [laughs].
Major: No, no, no. I wasn't going to say that - well partly that, yes, partly because of S-H-one-Ts like you, yes, that's perfectly right. But also because those people who are opposing our European policy have said the way to oppose the Government on the European policy is to attack me personally. The Labour Party started before the last election. It has been picked up and it is just one of these fashionable things that slips into the Parliamentary system and it is an easy way to proceed.
Brunson: But I mean you … has been overshadowed … my point is there, not just the fact that you have been overshadowed by Maastricht and people don't ...
Major: The real problem is this ...
Brunson: But you've also had all the other problems on top - the Mellors, the Mates … and it's like a blanket - you use the phrase 'masking tape' but I mean that's it, isn't it?
Major: Even, even, even, as an ex-whip I can't stop people sleeping with other people if they ought not, and various things like that. But the real problem is ...
Brunson: I've heard other people in the Cabinet say 'Why the hell didn't he get rid of Mates on Day One?' Mates was a fly, you could have swatted him away.
Major: Yeah, well, they did not say that at the time, I have to tell you. And I can tell you what they would have said if I had. They'd have said 'This man was being set up. He was trying to do his job for his constituent. He had done nothing improper, as the Cabinet Secretary told me. It was an act of gross injustice to have got rid of him'. Nobody knew what I knew at the time. But the real problem is that one has a tiny majority. Don't overlook that. I could have all these clever and decisive things that people wanted me to do and I would have split the Conservative Party into smithereens. And you would have said, Aren't you a ham-fisted leader? You've broken up the Conservative Party.
Brunson: No, well would you? If people come along and ...
Major: Most people in the Cabinet, if you ask them sensibly, would tell you that, yes. Don't underestimate the bitterness of European policy until it is settled - It is settled now.
Brunson: Three of them - perhaps we had better not mention open names in this room - perhaps the three of them would have - if you'd done certain things, they would have come along and said, 'Prime Minister, we resign'. So you say 'Fine, you resign'.
Major: We all know which three that is. Now think that through. Think it through from my perspective. You are Prime Minister. You have got a majority of 18. You have got a party still harking back to a golden age that never was but is now invented. And you have three rightwing members of the Cabinet actually resigned. What happens in the parliamentary party?

Brunson: They create a lot of fuss but you have probably got three damn good ministers in the Cabinet to replace them.

Major: Oh, I can bring in other people into the Cabinet, that is right, but where do you think most of this poison has come from? It is coming from the dispossessed and the never-possessed. You and I can both think of ex-ministers who are going around causing all sorts of trouble. Would you like three more of the bastards out there? What's the Lyndon Johnson, er, maxim?

Brunson: If you've got them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow.

Major: No, that's not what I had in mind, though it's pretty good.

Andrew Culf, "What the `wimp' really said to the S-H-one-T", The Guardian, 26 July 1993.

'Off-the-record' exchange with ITN reporter Michael Brunson following videotaped interview, 23 July 1993. Neither Major nor Brunson realised their microphones were still live and being recorded by BBC staff preparing for a subsequent interview; the tape was swiftly leaked to the Daily Mirror.



Now you're looking for The Secret.
But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. 

You don't really want to work it out. 

You want to be fooled.

No comments:

Post a Comment